Working with the edge - Engaging young people in group work @ Tuggeranong Community & Function Centre, Canberra in ACT
Tuggeranong Community & Function Centre, Canberra in ACT - Tuesday & Wednesday 20th-21st March 2012 from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Bigger, faster, stronger, sometimes grumpier...crash!
Fun, exhausting, inspiring and challenging
This workshop explores the skills, attitudes, ways of thinking and practical strategies needed to run/facilitate groups with teenagers who are being challenging and difficult. It can often be kind of tough facilitating groups that tackle awkward/sensitive topics in natural and inviting ways. So this workshop will explore and practice strategies and skills that are more likely to lead to respectful engagement and strong engagement with young people.
This is what we will cover:
- Experience 20 + activities
- How to plan a group ‘on the run’ with very little time
- How to work with young people who may seemingly, be grumpy, scared, angry, bored, don’t want to talk and/or just don’t want to be there
- How to create strategies for the verbal and the not-so verbal, including drawing, theatre-based action-based, physical movement oh and yes…thinking and talking…
- Embedding ‘learning’ within activities
- Blending process and content
- Managing the ‘difficult’ stuff
- Rules without rules
- Being surprising and unexpected
- Groups not as rehearsal for change/growth, but as a real experience of change/growth/development.
When: Tuesday & Wednesday, 20th & 21st March 2012 from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Where: Tuggeranong Community & Function Centre, 245 Cowlishaw Street, Greenway
Cost: The early bird booking is $440.00 if registration occurs before 17th February 2012 (GST included). The fee for registrations after the 17th February 2012 is $550.00 (GST included). Morning tea is provided. Lunch is available for purchase at a cafe in the Centre or at the nearby shops.
To register: Register and complete payment below. A Tax Invoice will be emailed to you. The payment needs to be completed before the workshop occurs, for the registration to be fully confirmed.
Facilitator: Peter Slattery
Peter has worked with
individuals, families and communities for over 30 years. He lives in
Sydney, but works throughout Australia as well as Asia, Europe and North
America. He has written 'Youth works’ and produced the
training DVD 'Conversations with young people', and most recently the
group work resource ‘THOUGHTPICS’. He strives constantly to find or
develop new, exciting and ever more useful ways of helping people
explore what troubles or inspires them. In this quest, he calls on
anything that might be helpful; physical movement, theatre,
storytelling, drawing, what might be called ‘humour’ and really, anything
at all that might add something to this process. Peter says "what a totally
challenging joy all of this is"!