Young people and group work (March) @ Canberra, ACT
Tuggeranong Community & Function Centre, Greenway- Wednesday & Thursday 21-22 March 2018 from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Fast, challenging and fun...
Young people are super-physical, super-influenced by their emotions, and respond super-impulsively to what’s going on around them. So with all this in
mind this workshop will take you through a process that looks at how to harness all this for the good of a group. We will look at the skills, ways
of thinking and practical strategies needed to run/facilitate groups with teenagers who at times can be challenging and difficult. We will look at
the pivotal idea of Engagement and how to maintain that engagement over time. This is what we will cover:
- Experience 15 + activities
- Use of music and video, physical movement, scaling activities, super simple theatre activities, drawing, conversation and silence as part of groupwork
- How to plan a group ‘on the run’ with very little time
- How to work with young people who may seemingly, be grumpy, scared, angry, bored, don’t want to talk and/or just don’t want to be there
- How to create strategies for the verbal and the not-so verbal, including drawing, theatre-based action-based, physical movement oh and yes…thinking
- Embedding ‘learning’ within activities
- Blending process and content
- Managing the ‘difficult’ stuff
- Rules without rules
- Being surprising and unexpected
- Groups not as rehearsal for change/growth, but as a real experience of change/growth/development.
When: Wednesday & Thursday 21-22 March 2018 from 9.30-4.30pm
Where: Tuggeranong Community & Function Centre, 245 Cowlishaw Street, Greenway.
Cost: The early bird booking is $484.00 if registration occurs before 21 February (GST included). The fee for registrations after the
21 February is $594.00 (GST included). Morning tea and lunch are provided.
To register: Register and complete payment below. A Tax Invoice will be emailed to you. The payment needs to be completed before the workshop
occurs, for the registration to be fully confirmed.
Facilitator: Peter Slattery
Peter has worked with individuals, families and communities for over 30 years. He lives in Sydney, but works throughout Australia as well as Asia, Europe
and North America. He has written 'Youth works’ and produced the training DVD 'Conversations with young people', and most recently the group work resource
‘THOUGHTPICS’. He strives constantly to find or develop new, exciting and ever more useful ways of helping people explore what troubles or inspires
them. In this quest, he calls on anything that might be helpful; physical movement, theatre, storytelling, drawing, what might be called ‘humour’ and
really, anything at all that might add something to this process. Peter says "what a totally challenging joy all of this is"!