City of Sydney RSL, Sydney, NSW- Wednesday & Thursday 26th-27th February 2020
Fast, challenging and fun...
Young people are super-physical, super-influenced by their emotions, and respond super-impulsively to what’s going on around them. So with all this
in mind this workshop will take you through a process that looks at how to harness all this for the good of a group. We will look at the skills,
ways of thinking and practical strategies needed to run/facilitate groups with teenagers who at times can be challenging and difficult. We will
look at the pivotal idea of Engagement and how to maintain that engagement over time. This is what we will cover:
- Experience 15 + activities
- Use of music and video, physical movement, scaling activities, super simple theatre activities, drawing, conversation and silence as part of groupwork
- How to plan a group ‘on the run’ with very little time
- How to work with young people who may seemingly, be grumpy, scared, angry, bored, don’t want to talk and/or just don’t want to be there
- How to create strategies for the verbal and the not-so verbal, including drawing, theatre-based action-based, physical movement oh and yes…thinking
- Embedding ‘learning’ within activities
- Blending process and content
- Managing the ‘difficult’ stuff
- Rules without rules
- Being surprising and unexpected
- Groups not as rehearsal for change/growth, but as a real experience of change/growth/development.
When: Wednesday & Thursday 26th-27th February 2020 from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Where: City of Sydney RSL, Sydney, NSW, 565 George St, Sydney NSW 2000
Cost: The early bird booking is $510.00 registration occurs before 26th January 2020 (GST included). The fee for registrations
after the 26th January is $620.00 (GST included). No morning tea or lunch is provided for this workshop at this venue. Participants can purchase
refreshments at multiple shops in the near vicinity.
To register: Register and complete payment below. A Tax Invoice will be emailed to you. The payment needs to be completed before the
workshop occurs, for the registration to be fully confirmed.
Facilitator: Peter Slattery
Peter has worked with individuals, families and communities for over 30 years. He lives in Sydney, but works throughout Australia as well as Asia,
Europe and North America. He has written 'Youth works’ and produced the training DVD 'Conversations with young people', and most recently the group
work resource ‘THOUGHTPICS’. He strives constantly to find or develop new, exciting and ever more useful ways of helping people explore what troubles
or inspires them. In this quest, he calls on anything that might be helpful; physical movement, theatre, storytelling, drawing, what might be called
‘humour’ and really, anything at all that might add something to this process. Peter says "what a totally challenging joy all of this is"!
Feedback from previous workshops
We collect feedback from participants at the conclusion of each workshop we facilitate. You can find summary data on our feedback page.
Some of the feedback collected from 175 participants between 2012 and 2018 in Peter Slattery’s Groupwork and Young People workshop includes:
"Pete is great – engaging – informative."
"All of the content was important and relevant. I really enjoyed building confidence with group-based stuff."
"There are activities that I can use straight away and I am looking forward to positively adapting the way I engage groups."
"Excellent mix of hands on activities and learning backed up by theories about why it works."
"I loved all of it – such a privilege to spend this time with you and learn from your knowledge and stories Pete."